Monday 20 September 2010

Mercury - Analysis


I perferred the 'Mercury' layout to the 'Evening Post'. To me this newspaper represented a community feel that cares about its local people a lot more. However, they 'Mercury' is a lot more focused on specific areas for example: Clevedon, Nailsea, Portishead and Yatton. They state this at the top right hand corner of the page showing where the newspaper is sold and posted. Unlike, 'The Evening Post' the mast head is situated central at the top of the page and doesn't use capitals for all the letters. I find that the use of an all capital masthead was the thing that made the 'Evening Post' look more like a tabloid newspaper. I do think that the 'Mercury' masthead is some what more interesting and I really like the font used. The colour schemes is also something I am in favour of, the blue, white and black seems to make it look less fromal and more laid back but still holds a prefessional feel and look. The masthead is also outlined with two blue sections which tell of minor details about the newspaper itself. Again, I like the ratio of pictures, adverts and headlines as they are equal and well spaced out however if I was being picky I would say that many there could be one more story to add more interest to the cover.
On one of the covers, they had a box with a minor story and picture in it. The story was of a local fete and did continue on the other page, but the thing that interested me about that section was the picture os smiling faces, which represented the community at it's best. This is partially why I decided on making my newspaper locally based as you could add more characters and meaning into the stories. The adverts are all taken from local businesses eg. Freeman in Portishead which like 'The Evening Post' shows support and enhances the locality of the newpaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment