Monday 20 September 2010

The Evening Post - Analysis



When analysing the 'Evening Post', I was looking at the specific conventions and story lines that it contains. I found that this particular newspaper follows a typical convention of a tabloid newspaper rather than a broadsheet as each section is blocked off from each other.The front cover is a simple layout which I think sometimes looks more effective and professional in its approach. There is a good balance between pictures, adverts and stories. All the adverts are related to the newspaper itself and the local area for example "Save £££s on City and Rover Tickets" which shows that they are thinking about what the locals would want and they are supporting their own local businesses. I like the idea of having a slogan "At the heart of all things local", in this simple but effective sentence they are telling the reader exactly what they can get from the newspaper. It is a kind of a promise to their audiences that a local community is important to them.
One thing I do not like is the three adverts at the top of the page, I preferred the Masthead to be situated at the top of the page like in the 'Times' and 'Mercury' layouts. I feel that the layout seems more like that of a tabloid newspaper as everything is put into blocks. I did like the blue section underneath the masthead stating the the price and date of the issue though, it separates the masthead from the main headlines which I find thoroughly interesting. It seems to highlight the masthead. Another thing I did find interesting from looking at the different layouts of newspapers is that they like to make the layout slightly disjointed and separated, clearly indicating the different stories and adverts. Also they all have their own specific design which makes them recognisable to their readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment